Sunday, June 12, 2011

Global Student Stuff

For CBYX, we have this program called "Global Student" that we need to finish courses of. This is one of them, and there might be a plethora. Or at least several!

TOP 10 REASONS TO STUDY ABROAD
1. Meeting People. I love love love love people and everything (good and bad) about them, and I am infatuated with the idea that I will be able to meet more.
2. Learning New Cultures. Cultures excite me, and learning, no, being immersed in an entirely different one is such an amazing opportunity that I simply could not close this door, figuratively speaking.
3. My Sister. I have a sister who did this same program and came back with such wonderful experiences. Not only did I want to be like her, but I knew that with my personality and yearning to see the world I could also apply for the program like she did. She inspired me, and I just want to follow in her footsteps with this program.
4. Escaping My Town. When I first applied for this program, I'll be honest and say that I really REALLY wanted to get out of A-Town. I didn't feel like I fit in, and I never really did. This feeling has changed throughout the year, but the yearning to go and travel is too great to push away. Besides, I'll be back in a year! :)
5. My German Friends. I have been to Germany twice now, once to visit my best friend who moved there and some of my sister's friends from the Program, and another on an exchange trip. I really want to have the POSSIBILITY of meeting them again, even if for only a weekend. :)
6. Starting Over. I don't live in the biggest of towns, and so almost everyone is connected to another person somehow, even if casually. That being said, it is hard to go around and be a totally different person; I've never had the chance to really start over with a fresh start. Going to Germany with no one knowing me or anything about me (in the school at least) is a great chance to figure out just who Lilly Smith is.
7. Academics. I don't really know what I want to do in college, other than that I KNOW it will have to do with culture. So social sciences, and right now I'm thinking anthropology. I hope that going to Germany will help me figure out a tiny bit what I want to major in in college, and also give me a headstart/growing time for my brain to mature to when I come back to America.
8. Self Confidence. I have pretty darn low self-confidence, why I don't know. I don't understand it, because if you read emails or Facebook messages or anything people "love" me. I guess I just don't see why. I think going to Germany will help with that, it will give me a "love yourself no matter what you think inside your head" boot camp. P.S. I don't have a medical problem, I'm just a teen girl I PROMISE! :D
9. Maturing Time. Basically I want more time for my brain to mature, for a upper hand in school since I'll be staying an extra year. Selfish? maybe. Smart? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
10. Experience. I want the experience of going somewhere I have no clue and speaking the language badly at first and having to order something off the menu even though you have NO CLUE what it says. I want to come back "cultured" and "open-eyed". I want to have more experiences than just a girl from a little ol' Texan town. I want to be someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment